Re: Database Application Development with Perl / Gtk / Tk

Good afternoon guys,

The reason i had asked the question is the following post that i saw in the
comp.lang.perl.tk and i have already asked the question there.
Thanks in advance
Bharat Pondugula

=======start
Thanks for all the answers. In my case, I don't need the sorting
possibilities of Column or MListbox, I prefer the build-in sorting
capabilities of my database (it's more sensitive to data (correct
date,numerical,alphabetical-sorting ...)).

I tested the following:

Tcl/Tk Listbox implementation
Perl/Tk HListbox implementation
Perl/Tk MListbox implementation
Perl/Tk TableMatrix implementation

The task was fetching and presenting 25.000 rows, 10 columns from a
database.

The Postgres Database needs about 15s to fetch the data. (Athlon 850MHz)

The Tcl/Tk Listbox presents the data after something like 30s, using 30MB.
The TableMatrix presents the data after 40s, needing 70MB.
The Hlist takes 75s and needs a bit more than 100MB.
The MListbox takes 90s and needs 50MB.

All tables/Lists have been filled at once.

On the contrary, OpenOffice - Datasource Viewer seems to present the
data instantaneously (after the interaction with the database), with
only spending 15MB of extra memory (so 60 in Total). It is cheating,
sure. I never get the whole table, but an excerp of some lines. Access
is handling database-presentations similar.

I will use TableMatrix, mainly because I need resizing of columns and
the possibility to get cell-content into the mouse-buffer.

Is there a way to align the contents? Right now eveything is centered,
and I would like to have it aligned to the left.

Heiko
======end

Quoting Guillaume Cottenceau <gc mandrakesoft com>:

bharat zonnet nl writes:

Good morning all,

I am looking for guidance regarding the above subject. I am planning to
build an application (pretty database intensive about a million
records ,

reads, writes) with GUI frontend in either PERL GTK or PERL TK. Do you
think that the application will be fast enough.

Your performance problem will probably be rather located in the
database operations, in my opinion, unless you do complex GUI
operations on each database operation.

As for myself, I don't know Tk so I can't comment on a choice
between perl/gtk and perl/tk (this mailing-list is maybe not the
best for that kind of question).

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/

Zon Breedband Family, 2 keer zo snel als alle andere ADSL aanbieders.
Voor maar 34 euro per maand.
Bestel nu op www.zonnet.nl/breedband en krijg het modem gratis.