Re: [gtk2-perl] documentation/evolution

David Banks <amoe users sourceforge net> writes:

Hey.  I found gtk2-perl and was amazed at how cool it was.
I've been overcome by an urge to contribute to it.  I'm
wondering what your ideas on future documentation for the
binding are.  It'd be very handy to have pod documentation
detailing the intricacies of each widget, so the user didn't
have to look at the GTK reference manual and mentally
convert.  So I was thinking I could write a script to
convert the XML version of the GTK reference manual to pod
format, performing the appropriate modifications
automatically, and leaving out unimplemented functions.  Is
this sort of thing a target, or do you have another grand
plan documentation-wise?

Personally, I don't want to give a definitive answer, because I
haven't thought about it enough (and other people on this list
may have?). My ideas about the question:

- generating from the doc of GTK would bring at least these
  problems:
  - would document not yet implemented functions
  - problems with functions with different API calls between C
    and Perl (there are some - especially functions returning
    more than one value)
  - would miss additional functions of gtk2-perl (helper
    functions)
- generating doc is a must to fight the outdateness, so another
  idea would be to generate from .pm and .c sources

Another quick note: what's the position on the existing Gtk
module?  Are you looking to come to an agreement to replace
Gtk as the GTK/Perl interface eventually, or are you going
to remain Gtk2 eternally?

Personally, I don't see use for replacing the Gtk namespace.
Current situation makes it easy for coexistance.

Anyway, just some ideas.  It's a lovely package.  (Are you
responsible for Frozen-Bubble as well?  That's brilliant.)

Yes, I'm the main programmer of Frozen-Bubble. Thanks for your
congrats!

Apologies if I contacted the wrong address for this sort of
thing; I could not find a mailing list for gtk2-perl.

I'm CC-ing to the mailing-list :).

See you and thanks.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/