Re: Creating Gtk2 and/or Gnome2 interfaces for Perl with Glade or Glade-2

that simply means that Glade can't write perl source code for you.  for this
feature to work, glade needs  converter backend, such as dermot's
glade-to-perl-two (which is unfortunately out of date wrt gtk2-perl >= 0.20).

oh! sincerly, I don't care about that feature since I don't use it.

you can still use the glade xml file with libglade, regardless of what the
code generation options are.

great :)

there's a tool called libglade-convert which attempts to covert your glade
project files (the xml files) from version 1 to version 2.  since widgets like
the GtkCList and GtkCTree are deprecated gtk+-2.x and therefore absent in
gtk2-perl, your mileage may vary.

unfortunatly, it doesn't work for me...
when trying to convert my interface
(http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/movixmaker/movixmaker/interface/MoviXMaker.glade)
i get the follwing :

$ libglade-convert MoviXMaker.glade
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/libglade-convert", line 1201, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/libglade-convert", line 1198, in main
    handle_file(args[0])
  File "/usr/bin/libglade-convert", line 1148, in handle_file
    document = xml.dom.minidom.parse(filename)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/xml/dom/minidom.py", line 962, in parse
    return _doparse(pulldom.parse, args, kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/xml/dom/minidom.py", line 954, in _doparse
    toktype, rootNode = events.getEvent()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/xml/dom/pulldom.py", line 255, in getEvent
    self.parser.feed(buf)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/xml/sax/expatreader.py", line 149, in feed
    self._err_handler.fatalError(exc)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/xml/sax/handler.py", line 38, in fatalError
    raise exception
xml.sax._exceptions.SAXParseException: <unknown>:240:30: not well-formed (invalid token)

I must admit that I don't understand how I could fix things up...

that's the extent of my knowledge.  :-(

thanks anyway! :)

The GladeXML file has to "written" for Perl or not ?
that's the part which is still unclear to me...

no, you can use the xml file as is.

the thing that made me doubt is the Language tag that was there back in GladeXML for Gtk-1.

PS: muppet : perhaps I should rebuild Glib-Perl, Gtk2-Perl, etc. before
going any further ?

i recommend it.  also, there are instructions in the README with Glib on how
to install to and run from a non-system directory, which will ease the pain
and suffering of the constant upgrade cycle until 1.0.

Okay, I do it right now.

-Pascal