libxml2 and other libraries whose bindings we don't control [Was Re: libglade]

On Monday, December 29, 2003, at 09:07 AM, Ross McFarland wrote:

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 00:09, Brett Kosinski wrote:
In fact, my
understanding is that he doesn't expect to really get the bindings
completely up to snuff until late *2004*. So, I wouldn't expect them to
change much between now and the 2.6 release.

more than complete we need api stability and such. we're going to have
to decide how to approach all of this type of stuff (things we don't
control)

my thoughts on the subject run like this: while libxml2 is part of the gnome developer's platform, CPAN is full to bursting with tools to deal with XML. also, xml tools are not critical to GUI programs. all in all, we don't need to have these libraries in our release set.

if we controlled them and wanted to add them to the release set, then more power to us; but we do not.

note that i am *not* suggesting we offer to take over maintainership of those bindings -- i think that would be silly.

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>