Re: dialog close signal and hiding dialog...

-- muppet <scott asofyet org> wrote
(on Tuesday, 12 August 2003, 09:22 PM -0400):

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 08:45  PM, Matthew Weier OPhinney wrote:

-- Ross McFarland <rwmcfa1 neces com> wrote
i see you have $dialog->show that is a method of ROX, but in that show
do you call run. what you are describing sounds like you're calling
show
and trying to handle the signals yourself.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do... which I think may be the
problem...

not at all, GtkDialog is designed for this usage.

however, mixing $dialog->run and a response handler is bad juju.
either hook up a response handler and call $dialog->show, *or* call
$dialog->run and look at the returned value.

And that's where I was having problems -- I didn't know which response I
was looking for when the window was closed; thus, $dialog->show +
response handler wasn't working correctly. Fixed, now.

Long and short of it, I think this is one area where the pygtk ->
gtk2-perl direct conversion isn't making sense. The window is a
'dialog'
in name only; in function, it's a very complex window with a lot of
signals being emitted. I think I'll probably change this to be a
GtkWindow with a GtkVBox once I get a few issues ironed out.

if you have a document view in there, or an empty action area, then
sure.  otherwise, there's no reason you should have to change.  if it
looks like a dialog, you are safe using a dialog base, because that
will keep your UI consistent for the user.

No document views -- just text entries, radio widgets, checkboxes, that
sort of thing; all well within the realm of a dialog.

Thanks for the code snippets -- I've got it working perfectly now, and
much more simply than before!

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
http://weierophinney.net/matthew/