Re: Why is gtk_widget_get_clipboard() disabled?

Torsten Schoenfeld said:

Is there any special reason for gtk_widget_get_clipboard() being
disabled?

beyond the primary authors using mostly gtk+ 2.0, which doesn't have
GtkClipboard... um...  i think it just got overlooked when clipboard and atom
support finally found its way in.  i'll add it posthaste.  in fact, with the
default of GDK_SELECTION_CLIPBOARD, which the docs say is the default
clipboard (correct me if there's a better default).

Is there another (better?) way to get a GtkClipboard? I tried
Gtk2::Clipboard -> new($atom) but although it apparently returned a
properly blessed object, GLib complained as soon as I tried to use said
object:

you probably got the inherited Glib::Object constructor, which did not do The
Right Thing, since it is actually an abstract factory-style constructor[1].
according to the API reference, you need to use

  $cliboard = Gtk2::Clipboard->get ($atom);

[1] i'm not sure of the right way around this problem, other than a FAQ answer
saying use ->get instead of ->new.

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>