Why is gtk_widget_get_clipboard() disabled?

Aloha,

while toying around with GtkClipboard's, I noticed that
gtk_widget_get_clipboard() is commented out in GtkWidget.xs.

I uncommented it, built the whole thingy, ran the tests, ran my own
tests - everything worked as expected and documented.

Is there any special reason for gtk_widget_get_clipboard() being
disabled?

Is there another (better?) way to get a GtkClipboard? I tried
Gtk2::Clipboard -> new($atom) but although it apparently returned a
properly blessed object, GLib complained as soon as I tried to use said
object:

  (odot:4141): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1400
  (g_object_get_data): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

TIA,
-Torsten