Re: Transparent window

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Jonathan Gotti wrote:

I'm looking  for documentation or help on how to make
a transparent window like you can have in most terminal
like (eterm aterm ...) or in Xchat for example.
So if somenone can give me a trick or a documentation reference
i'd be really happy

transparent windows really aren't. what these apps do is take a screenshot
of what's under, dim it by, say, dividing the values of the pixels by two,
and using it as background for their own windows. you can see this if you
enable 'opaque move' (or similar) in your window manager and move around
a transparent window - you'll see that the "transparent" background is not
updated during the move, but once you release the window it will screenshot
again and use the new background.

lanzz
--