Setting a pixbuf to transparent.

  What is the "proper" way to set a pixbuf to transparent?

  I have a pixbuf that I draw into and then composite with another
pixbuf.  I then need to erase the original pixbuf so I can draw to
it again for the next iteration.

  The problem is, how do I erase the pixbuf so it's transparent again?

  This goes on hundreds of times, so I can't create a new pixbuf
each time.  I'm doing this in Perl, so setting each pixel back to
alpha 0 strikes me as being impractical.  Right now I've created a
pixbuf full of transparent pixels and I do a pixbuf->copy_area().
Is there a better way?

  Any incantations would be appreciated.

                                        Dale