Re: Required versions (was: install problem with Gtk2-Perl-0.04)

On tir, 2002-12-10 at 14:59, Steve Fox wrote:
On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 04:28, Markus Jais wrote:
now it works. somehow perl 5.8.0 was deleted on the
machine where I compiled and now there is only 5.6.1.
but after installing the ExtUtils::MakeMaker from CPAN
everything worked fine. thanks.

So Gtk2-Perl will require Perl 5.8.0 or higher? I hope this is only
temporary because that will greatly hinder my migration to it. There are
a lot of machines out there still at 5.6.x and they won't upgrade their
Linux distro just to run my app.

As I recall gtk2-perl should work fine with 5.6.1. The most dubious
parts are probably the utf8 stuff I did (all strings returned from gtk+
are marked as utf8 and vice versa). But I tested all that with perl
5.6.1, and it worked.

It may require a newer version of MakeMaker, but that should not be a
problem.

Anyway, I really think the requirement for an old perl is odd. Gtk+2 was
released much later than perl 5.8, so its surprising that a distro would
have gtk+2 but not perl 5.8, certainly debian has both.

./borup