Re: fast timout event

On 10/08/01 Raul Dias wrote:
I am plotting with GnomeCanvas a graph with data
aquired with a device at the parallel port.

I am using Gtk->timeout event to get the data.
However the timeout even (AFAIK) is limited to
1ms.  Now I need to do it at least at 0.1ms rate.

Is it possible to do it with gtk-perl?

If I was not using perl I could just spawn a new thread
and let it do it.  I would like to avoid to compile a new
threadered perl.

Another way would be to fork and let another proccess to
take care of it and have some kind of ipc to sinc the data.

The best solution would be something in the same proccess
(without forking or threading).  Is there a way to increase
the "resolution" of the timout event?
sugestions?

Nope, the resolution of the timeout depends on the operating system,
basically. It sounds like what you really need, though, is an handler
to be run when data is available in the file descriptor you get when you
open the parallel port device. See the section on O/I handlers in the
Gtk::cookbook manpage.

lupus

lupus debian org                                     debian/rules
lupus ximian com                             Monkeys do it better