Re: documentation

On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Robin Redeker wrote:

i really love GTK and Perl.
I only wanted to know the status of the
documentation of GTK/Perl. The tutorial isn't
very complete, styles are not finished yet and
the ref is only in pdf.
Is there a new release soon?

Depends on what you mean by "soon".  :)

I am currently in the process of rewriting the tutorial in DocBook
(actually, I'm currently perfecting a Perl script that takes my
proprietary format and turns it into DocBooks SGML).  There are a couple
of changes that will be necessary, but I think the benefits outweigh the
cost (such as automagically generating Postscript and PDF versions for a
printed format).

I am also hoping to split the tutorial into two documents.  One will be
smaller and actually be more of a tutorial, while the other will be more
of a Programming Manual.  All along I've had problems deciding where to
draw the line about what should and shouldn't get included, but not any
more.  I'll let the reader decide how complete he wants the discussion to
be (and yes, I'll link between the two).

Once I've converted to the new format, I hope to finish documenting
everything (including the CTree, drag and drop, and other things people
have been complaining about).  I'm also considering additional documents
about topic such as writing custom widgets and how to draw using the GDK.
Maybe even something on the Gnome widgets, but I've yet to learn anything
about them.

Unfortunately, all this takes time, which seems to be diminishing at a
rapid pace, so please be patient.

P.S. If anyone knows how to get color into a DocBook document (for syntax
highlighting) please let me know.  Color is really cool and I would hate
to stop doing it.

--
Stephen Wilhelm
    See my Gtk-Perl Tutorial: