Re: [gtk-osx-users] right mouse with trackpad

On Nov 16, 2021, at 9:17 PM, Paul Emsley via gtk-osx-users-list <gtk-osx-users-list gnome org> wrote:

On 17/11/2021 04:44, john wrote:

On Nov 16, 2021, at 3:41 PM, Paul Emsley via gtk-osx-users-list <gtk-osx-users-list gnome org> wrote:

Hi,

Is there a way to simulate right mouse click and drag using a trackpad? (I want to do this in a GtkGLArea)

Thanks,

Paul.

(is this the right place to ask? If not, where should I go?)
Not really the right place, that's a basic how-do-I-use-my-mac question for your favorite web search engine. Google returns 478 thousand responses for "macos trackpad click-and-drag".

FWIW I usually click hard with my thumb and use my index finger to drag. Works for both selection and DnD.

Hi John,

Thanks for your prompt reply, but I am not sure that you answered the question that I meant to ask.

There were extra conditions: GTK, right-mouse (and GtkGLArea). Reading between the lines of your reply, it seems that it doesn't matter if the application is a GTK application (is that right/what you think?)

I did google search before I posted, I read this (for example)

https://www.imore.com/how-activate-right-click-functionality-mac

but I couldn't get it to work. Which is why I asked here.

As I said, this isn't the place; I've provided a little more detail about that in another thread. The Gnome Discourse instance at discourse.gnome.org/ would be better if this is really a Gtk-specific question, but that seems unlikely: Gtk programs get events from the operating system; the events you're asking about are right-down and mouse-motion. The trackpad gestures that generate those events have nothing to do with Gtk. To generate a right-down on a Mac trackpad hold the control key down and press hard on the trackpad so that it clicks. You can then drag with another finger to generate the mouse-motion events. This gesture is normally used to pop and navigate a context menu, firing the selected menu item when you release, i.e. generate a right-up.