Re: [gtk-osx-users] Gtk-osx on Big Sur

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 11:59 PM John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2020, at 9:09 AM, Andrius Rinkevicius via gtk-osx-users-list <gtk-osx-users-list gnome org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> does anybody have any experience how gtk-osx operates on the Big Sur?
> I have one user reporting that that Bluefish has very slow or broken scrolling of textview, also some modal windows are broken (looks like Big Sur converted them to tabs). Bluefish is build using gtk 3.6.4 and XCode 6.3, so these problems might be caused by old build system.
> Looking forward for any hints...

gtk-osx works fine on BigSur, though not all dependencies yet work on Apple Silicon (especially those that use assembler, no surprise).

gtk-osx hasn't supported Gtk 3.6.4 nor Xcode 6.3 for at least 5 years so you're obviously not using it to build Bluefish. Maybe you should start...

FWIW, GnuCash and Gramps *do* use gtk-osx to build their Mac bundles and they do work well on BigSur, including in Rosetta2 on Apple Silicon.

I would like to keep support for MacOSX 10.9 and avoid building separate binaries for different MacOS versions. It turned out that is hard to find information what minimum MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET particular Xcode version supports. At least, I could not find it on wikipedia etc. Could you help to select right Xcode version if I target minimum OSX version to be 10.9, and want to have it working on BigSur at the same time?
Andrius