Re: [gtk-osx-users] GTK-OSX and Webkitgtk Question

On May 29, 2014, at 4:44 PM, Tony Kubalak <apk uwalumni com> wrote:

John,

My name is Tony Kubalak and I am software developer trying to add webkitgtk to an application that
currently uses gtk-osx as generated by jhbuild.

I got your name from some of the many websites I have searched trying to solve my problem.  I would like to
ask you a couple of questions if that is okay.  If it is not okay you can skip the rest of this note.

I built have and am successfully using gtk-osx linked with my application.  I used the jhbuild procedure
outlined on the website, Building.  I now want to incorporate webkitgtk.  I ran "jhbuild build webkit".
Much to my surprise this completed successfully and I was able to link my program with it.  When I ran the
program the raw html was displayed and not the rendered version.  I also got the following critical lib
soup error:

libsoup-CRITICAL **: soup_session_send_request_async: assertion 'use_thread_context' failed

I am using libsoup-2.4.1.dylib and libwebkit-1.6.1.dylib.

I have researched this problem and tried many different things, but nothing I do makes a difference.  I
pulled the libraries from   gnu cash because according to my research this uses the libwebkitgtk and
libgtk-quartz.  Unfortunately these are built with a 32 bit architecture and mine is x86-64.  So I
downloaded gnucash-2.6.3 and tried to see if I could build it for x86-64.  I used macports to bring in
packages that it said that I needed.  When I ran "configure --disable-dbi" I got the following error
"Cannot find Glib Gettext".  I used macports to install gettext and I can see there is
/opt/local/lib/libgettextlib-0.18/3.dylib.

This was just one of my many attempts to get my program to render html properly.

I was wondering if you had any thoughts on how to get rid of the libsoup problem or anything else to get a
compatible set of libraries that will work with libgtk-quartz and libwebitgtk.  I am also a little
concerned with the older version of webkit because my program is running successfully on linux and Windows
using libwebkitgtk-1.10.2.

My mac is running Lion.

I appreciate any ideas or thoughts you might have and thanks for your time.

Please subscribe to and use the gtk-osx-users mailing list. I’ve CC’d the list for your convenience and to
get your original questions on the list.

Your seem to be ignoring the very prominent warning on https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK%2B/OSX/Building:
Mixing Fink or MacPorts and GTK-OSX will fail.

If you insist on having MacPorts on your system for some perverse reason, the easiest thing to do is to
create a separate user for gtk-osx; otherwise you’re in for shell hackery to hide the MacPorts paths and
other environment variables so that gtk-osx can’t see anything that MacPorts installed or built.

The older version of WebKitGtk is because the WebKitGtk folks don’t want to support quartz, so all of their
anti-quartz ifdefs, most of which are gratuitous simply to prevent WebKitGtk from compiling with quartz, have
to be patched around. It’s a lot of work and the result is rather brittle, so it has to be redone for every
version. 1.6.8 is sufficient for GnuCash’s needs so I don’t have much motivation to upgrade for the sake of
upgrading.

If you want to build GnuCash with gtk-osx, use https://github.com/jralls/gnucash-on-osx.

Maybe the way you’re passing the html pages to WebKit works in 1.10 but not in 1.6. The gnucash code for that
is in src/html; maybe there’s something there that can help you sort out why your code doesn’t work. I didn’t
write that bit and haven’t ever looked at it, so I can’t really offer much more help than that.