Re: [gtk-osx-users] Mac keysyms?

On Oct 14, 2013, at 5:35 PM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell wfu edu> wrote:

I've been trying to intercept and respond to Alt-w in a gtk-quartz applications -- without success until
today, when I finally thought to print to stderr the keysym I was getting. Turns out it is 16785937 decimal
(0x1002211), the summation sign (Sigma), also known as Unicode U+2211.

Aha, yes, Alt-letter in Macspeak turns into special characters ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_key ).
But can anyone tell me, is there a symbolic name for this anywhere in GDK? I can't find anything relevant
in the GDK headers.

It's called "opt" in mac-speak.
No, there doesn't seem to be a defined symbol. The symbols are defined in:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/gdk/quartz/gdkkeys-quartz.c
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/gdk/gdkkeysyms.h
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/gdk/gdkkeyuni.c

You should be able to just trap is as <alt>'w' as an accelerator or binding, but recognize that your
non-English users may  consider it a bug if it prevents them from actually typing that in a text field. If
you're trying to use it for something else, maybe a bit more explanation will help find a solution for you.