Re: [Gtk-osx-users] build: compile libiconv error

On Mar 6, 2011, at 12:38 PM, Victor Tsang wrote:

> hi there,
>
> I am trying to build gtk-osx for my Snow Leopard 10.6.6. However, when I am using the command  "jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-core" I got the following errors. Can you guys help me out on this? I have been searching online for a while and without any clue on how to resolve this issue. Thanks!
>
> Victor
>
> dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _iconv_open
>   Referenced from: /Users/specc/gtk/inst/lib/libgettextsrc-0.17.dylib
>   Expected in: /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
>
> dyld: Symbol not found: _iconv_open
>   Referenced from: /Users/specc/gtk/inst/lib/libgettextsrc-0.17.dylib
>   Expected in: /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
>
> /bin/sh: line 1: 58388 Trace/BPT trap          /Users/specc/gtk/inst/bin/msgfmt -o test.mo ./de.po
> cp: test.mo: No such file or directory
> make[4]: *** [test.mo] Error 1
> make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> *** Error during phase build of glib: ########## Error running make   *** [2/12]

Yes, that symbol is not included in the X86_64 image in Apple's libiconv. Assuming that there's some reason you actually want a 64-bit image, your best solution is to delete everything, get the latest gtk-osx-build-setup.sh from Github or Sourceforge, and start over. (That's actually the best solution even if you don't need a 64-bit build, because the modulesets on Github won't work properly with older installations).

Another option is to edit your .jhbuildrc-custom to use the gtk-osx modulesets that were installed into ~/.Sources/jhbuild/modulesets when you ran gtk-osx-build-setup.sh and build the gettext-fw metamodule before building anything else. (That module no longer exists; libiconv and gettext-0.18 are now correctly installed by bootstrap, but only if you run the latest gtk-osx-build-setup.sh).