Re: [Gtk-osx-users] gstreamer modules build problems

On Mar 30, 2011, at 1:31 PM, Antoine Martin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using the exact same instructions (*) I have used many times before
> but something seems to have changed and has broken gstreamer for me:
>
> $ jhbuild build gstreamer gst-plugins-base gst-plugins-good gst-plugins-bad
> W: Duplicate repository: ftp.gnu.org
> jhbuild build: module "'gst-plugins-bad'" not found
> Usage: jhbuild [ -f config ] command [ options ... ]
>
> $ jhbuild build gstreamer gst-plugins-base gst-plugins-good
> W: Duplicate repository: ftp.gnu.org
> jhbuild build: gstreamer has a dependency on unknown "bison" module
> Usage: jhbuild [ -f config ] command [ options ... ]
>
> Why is it complaining about bison when I am building on 10.5 and should
> not need to build bison as the version installed is OK (apparently).
>
> The quick workaround was to simply use "buildone" on each module.
> I've tried removing the "dependency" section in the moduleset file but
> the error still came up!? (why is that?)
>
> Unfortunately, buildone did not work for gst-plugins-bad and
> gst-plugins-ugly, cryptic error follows:
> $ jhbuild buildone gst-plugins-bad
> W: Duplicate repository: ftp.gnu.org
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/Users/MacAdmin/.local/bin/jhbuild", line 31, in <module>
>    jhbuild.main.main(sys.argv[1:])
>  File "/Users/MacAdmin/Source/jhbuild/jhbuild/main.py", line 147, in main
>    rc = jhbuild.commands.run(command, config, args, help=lambda:
> print_help(parser))
>  File "/Users/MacAdmin/Source/jhbuild/jhbuild/commands/__init__.py",
> line 123, in run
>    return cmd.execute(config, args, help)
>  File "/Users/MacAdmin/Source/jhbuild/jhbuild/commands/__init__.py",
> line 52, in execute
>    return self.run(config, options, args, help)
>  File "/Users/MacAdmin/Source/jhbuild/jhbuild/commands/base.py", line
> 356, in run
>    module = AutogenModule(modname, default_repo.branch(modname))
> TypeError: branch() takes at least 3 arguments (2 given)
>
> Last, a quick question: are there are any reasons for or against using
> GCC 4.2 / 4.0? (beyond the obvious ones / specific to gtk-osx)
>
> Thanks
> Antoine
>
> (*) If you want to reproduce exacly what I did, simply follow:
> https://winswitch.org/dev/macosx.html
> Minus the "gettext-fw" and "libgstosxaudio" quirks which are no longer
> needed (nice!), I'll update the instructions once this is sorted out.

plugins-bad got dropped because the tarball got dropped from the Gnome ftp server. I don't follow gstreamer development, so I really have no idea why.

I changed the bootstrap setup a couple of months ago, but it looks like I missed the dependency on Bison in gstreamer. I'll fix that tomorrow. In the meantime, I think that if you add bison to the skip list, it will ignore the problem.

For your buildone gstreamer-modules-bad problem, are you passing a branch[module] in your jhbuildrc-custom or on the command line?

There have been some bugs reported in gcc-4.2 having to do with assembly, and you must use gcc-4.0 if you need Tiger compatibility. Other than that I don't know of any issues where it would make any difference.