Re: [Gtk-osx-users] keymap (meta vs alt)

On Oct 2, 2010, at 7:58 PM, Phillip Heller wrote:

> John et al,
>
> Do I understand correctly that a patch has been applied against the gtk-osx stable branch gtk+ to correct the keymap weirdness??
>
> I ask because I'm finally getting back to fixing up the key modifiers, and it seems to still be misbehaving.
>
> I have an accelerator CMD-O which invokes a "Connect" dialog, defined like so:
>
> gtk.accel_map_add_entry('<tryton>/File/Connect', gtk.keysyms.O, gtk.gdk.META_MASK)
>
> And, I have buttons in a common "OK" / "Cancel" dialog, defined like so:
>
> dialog.add_button("gtk-cancel", gtk.RESPONSE_CANCEL)
> dialog.add_button("gtk-ok", gtk.RESPONSE_OK | gtk.CAN_DEFAULT | gtk.HAS_DEFAULT)
>
> If I invoke the "Quit" action via CMD-Q, the dialog is displayed (as expected).  CMD-O invokes the "Connect" dialog (as expected, though I should probably make the OK/Cancel for 'quit' a modal dialog), but no key combinations invoke "OK" at this dialog.
>
> Another similar situation; I have a "Connect" button within the Connect dialog itself, defined as follows:
>
> self.button_connect = gtk.Button(_('C_onnect'))
>
> This button does not activate with any key combination.
>
> Anyways, just wondering if this is something that was supposed to be fixed, or if it's still outstanding.

What's fixed is that your command-o accelerator works in gtk-2.20 and later, as do the standard bindings in gtk/gtkrc.key.mac. This worked in 2.18, but was broken in master last December

There's a problem with mnemonics, which is that by default they use <Alt> with the underlined letter. On a mac, that key combination is used to extend the keyboard to produce additional letters (which ones of course depends on the active key map).  The gdk keymapping code eats <Alt> and returns the extended letter (<Alt>o returns ø). I'm currently working on that, so your letter is timely: I hadn't considered mnemonics.

I think that they're going to have to use <control> instead of <alt>, though. Otherwise someone is going to want to have
(e.g.) _ø for a mnemonic, and there's no way to get there with <alt>.

BTW, there's no support for mnemonics in menus on OSX. http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20071029162002292 explains keyboard menu navigation for Tiger and Leopard (Snow Leopard is the same as Leopard).