Re: [Gtk-osx-users] compiling for 10.4 on 10.6?

On Nov 4, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Olivier Sessink wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> is it possible to compile libraries and binaries on OSX 10.6 such that
> they are backwards compatible with OSX 10.4?

Yes, I do it frequently.

You'll need MacOSX-10.4u.sdk, which is an optional install in XCode. Then call
setup_sdk('10.4', '10.4u', ['i386'])

It's theoretically possible to build with the 10.6 SDK with
setup_sdk('10.4', '10.6', ['i386']),
but when I've tried I always got crashes when I tried to run the result under Tiger. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Also note that while meta-gtk-core will compile for 10.4, several other packages, most notably WebKit, won't.