Re: [Gtk-osx-users] Gtk-osx-users Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1

On 5 May, 2010, at 5:30 AM, Adrian Cameron Brown wrote:

> gconvert.c:55:2: error: #error GNU libiconv not in use but included iconv.h is from libiconv

<snip>

> Can anyone help?

	It always helps to give relevant information, like which version OSX you are using.  However, this is a frequently asked question on Snow Leopard.  The 64 bit version of libiconv supplied on 10.6 is deficient.  Apple knows about it, but claims that libiconv_open() is not conforming to 'unix standards', whatever they are.  Presumably the burden is on the GNU folks to tinker with their configuration/linkage to build a better glib.  The 32 bit version of libiconv as supplied by Apple provides all the symbols expected by glib for backward compatibility.

	Now that we have the background stuff out of the way, you have two choices in how to handle this:

1) Start from scratch, but force all of gtk-osx to be built as 32 bit.  This is done by including the following line in .jhbuildrc-custom

setup_sdk("10.6", "10.6", ["i386"])

2) Keep the 64 bit build but help things along manually.  This is done by running

jhbuild build gettext_fw

	before running

jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-core

	you will also need to enable the unstable version of the modulesets to get the latest updates.  This is accomplished by including the following line in .jhbuildrc-custom

moduleset="http://github.com/jralls/gtk-osx-build/raw/master/modulesets-unstable/gtk-osx.modules

	This is a road that typically ends up in frustration, and most of us finally choose path #1.

Sent from my MacBookPro

Hackito ergo sum.