Re: [Gtk-osx-users] glib error

On Jun 3, 2010, at 2:41 PM, Darragh, Andrew wrote:

> Hello. I am new to using this program (and programming in general). I have be trying to install gtk on my Mac (OSX 10.6.3). when I run the build meta-gtk-osx-core command, I end up getting this error:
>
> gconvert.c:52:2: error: #error GNU libiconv not in use but included iconv.h is from libiconv
> gconvert.c: In function ‘g_iconv_open’:
> gconvert.c:124: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘!’ token
> make[4]: *** [gconvert.lo] Error 1
> make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> What exactly is going wrong?  Thanks for any info.

Several things. Not reading the documentation carefully is the most proximate, but there are some underlying issues revealed by
your message:

Gtk-OSX isn't a program, at least not in the sense that ordinary people think of programs. It is a build system for building Gtk applications on Macintosh OSX. It includes libraries that help programmers to make those Gtk+ applications behave a bit more like native OSX programs do.

It's not intended for novices; in fact, Gtk programming is rather difficult all by itself, before one even starts to learn about the intricacies of cross-platform programming. Deep understanding of the mechanics of object-oriented is necessary, because Gtk is an object-oriented library built with a purely procedural language. What's more, writing Gtk programs explicitly to use on OSX is downright
masochistic, and will produce seriously inferior results with many times more work.

Oh, you can fix your problem by doing "jhbuild build gettext-fw meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap meta-gtk-osx-core". But don't do that. Go learn Cocoa programming with XCode and Interface Builder. There are plenty of books and courses.