Re: [Gtk-osx-users] PyGTK on top of native GTK+?

Hi John

John Ralls wrote:

> The wiki is at https://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/gtk-osx/wiki. You'll
> need a sourceforge id to write to it.

OK, so I have run jhbuild, and I now have a working version of GIMP
running on native GTK+. Couple of obvious bugs: command-Z for undo
doesn't seem to work... something wrong with the keybindings, it seems.
Also, the usual mouse-wheel zooming seems to be broken too.

What's next for getting PyGTK running? Do I have to tell jhbuild to do
something, or do I download a separate tarball and build it manually?

> Yes, ige-mac-integration needs to be restructured a bit, and pulling
> the python bindings out is one approach. I could also create another
> module called ige-mac-pygtk which rebuilds it with python support
> after building python, which makes it invisible to the user (at least
> to the user who doesn't peer too deeply into the innards).

The key thing is that the dependency system of jhbuild works correctly.
So I don't see why you would want to hide the module from the user.

> Fink and MacPorts are ugly hacks that attempt to recreate Linux inside
> of OSX. They are rife with excessive and often conflicting package
> interdependencies. I gave up on using either of them some years ago
> after being unable to install Gnucash because of conflicting dependencies.

That would appear to be poor packaging practice, to me, rather than a
fault of these package managers intrinsically, don't you think?
Obviously there are some challenges to putting a package manager on top
of an operating system that doesn't itself use one, but I think it can
be managed. At least one should aim for a modular set of binaries that
new developers can download in order to get started on a new machine.

> Gtk-OSX encourages a source build of the minimum installation for a
> single app and bundling it for the exclusive use of that one app. Each
> app contains its own dependencies, so there aren't any conflicts.

Yes, that's a different philosophy, I guess. User-centric, because you
need to have a single download-and-install package for them, because
that's what they expect on that platform. But I think that a package
manager is the more elegant solution both for user and for developer.

> IIRC, to build MacPorts with Quartz you just pass an argument like
> --enable-quartz to it at configure time.

OK. I'll look into it.

> It might be worthwhile for PyGtk to have a binary tarball. It wouldn't
> be for non-trivial C apps, because there isn't any way for a single
> package like that to satisfy all of the various other dependencies, so
> it makes more sense to just build everything at once.

There has *got* to be a better solution than requiring every GTK-OSX
developer to build their whole GTK+ environment from source. I thought
that better solution was fink (apt-get) or Macports. But if it's not
(certainly, I was surprised at how poorly maintained the binaries for
fink are), then perhaps just a big whopper tarball of GTK+ for both
Python and C users isn't so bad...?

Cheers
JP