Re: [Gtk-osx-users] PyGTK on top of native GTK+?

On Aug 31, 2009, at 5:43 PM, John Pye wrote:

Hi John

Yes, ige-mac-integration needs to be restructured a bit, and pulling
the python bindings out is one approach. I could also create another
module called ige-mac-pygtk which rebuilds it with python support
after building python, which makes it invisible to the user (at least
to the user who doesn't peer too deeply into the innards).

The key thing is that the dependency system of jhbuild works correctly.
So I don't see why you would want to hide the module from the user.

Fink and MacPorts are ugly hacks that attempt to recreate Linux inside
of OSX. They are rife with excessive and often conflicting package
interdependencies. I gave up on using either of them some years ago
after being unable to install Gnucash because of conflicting dependencies.

That would appear to be poor packaging practice, to me, rather than a
fault of these package managers intrinsically, don't you think?
Obviously there are some challenges to putting a package manager on top
of an operating system that doesn't itself use one, but I think it can
be managed. At least one should aim for a modular set of binaries that
new developers can download in order to get started on a new machine.

It might be worthwhile for PyGtk to have a binary tarball. It wouldn't
be for non-trivial C apps, because there isn't any way for a single
package like that to satisfy all of the various other dependencies, so
it makes more sense to just build everything at once.

There has *got* to be a better solution than requiring every GTK-OSX
developer to build their whole GTK+ environment from source. I thought
that better solution was fink (apt-get) or Macports. But if it's not
(certainly, I was surprised at how poorly maintained the binaries for
fink are), then perhaps just a big whopper tarball of GTK+ for both
Python and C users isn't so bad...?