Re: [Gtk-osx-users] PyGTK on top of native GTK+?

Hi John

John Ralls wrote:
> On Aug 30, 2009, at 9:35 PM, John Pye wrote:
>

>> Hi all
>>
>> Can anyone give me some steps for getting PyGTK running on top of
>> native
>> GTK+ on Mac OS X?
>>
>> I have a PyGTK app that I want to port to Mac. I've made some progress
>> already, but only via X11:
>> http://ascendwiki.cheme.cmu.edu/Porting_to_Mac
>>
>> Are the Mac-specific bits of GTK+ wrapped by/accessible from PyGTK
>> now?
>>
>> Is it conceivable that native GTK+ will ever be distributed with fink?
>>
>> Is Glade included in the GTK OS X installer at this stage?
>>

> There's been some discussion of pygtk in the following forum topics:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/gtk-osx/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4
> https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/gtk-osx/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14
> https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/gtk-osx/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8
>
> I do want to write a good how-to for pygtk apps, but it's not near the
> top of my rather long todo list at the moment, I'm afraid. I haven't
> been able to fish anyone else into doing it, either.

If you could write bullet points for doing this, I'd be happy to expand
it with screenshots etc. If you don't have a wiki, then maybe we could
make a start here (on a new page linked from)...
http://ascendwiki.cheme.cmu.edu/Porting_to_Mac

> Yes, the mac stuff is buried pretty deeply in Gtk+, so if you build
> PyGtk from this project then the mac stuff comes along for the ride,
> except for ige-mac-integration, which must be built twice. The first
> time it's build automatically; the second, after PyGtk is built, it
> must be built again with the python bindings enabled. Then your python
> app needs to import it and you have to write a little extra code to
> integrate the menus and the Dock icon.

It sounds to me as though ige-mac-integration could perhaps be split
into two separate packages, if that is the case. Having to build a
package twice is highly irregular, and will fox most developers, I'd say.

> I hope that Fink and MacPorts will not try to package Gtk-OSX. The
> underlying philosophy is rather different. That said, you *can* build
> MacPorts apps with Quartz instead of X11.

I'd like to know why you think that way and fink/macports packaging. Is
there a reason why you'd rather they didin't? What's the philosophy
mismatch? I personally love being able to just type "apt-get install
whatever" and have all the dependencies installed automatically.

Do you have any details on how to build macports apps with Quartz
instead of X11?

> There is no Gtk-OSX installer. There are some frameworks at the old
> site (www.gtk-osx.org) which provide the very basic glib and gtk+
> libraries and those upon which they depend. They aren't the current
> version, and I haven't gotten the framework build scripts to work
> enough to my satisfaction that I'm willing to provide prebuilt
> binaries, so for now you have to build everything you need locally and
> provide application bundles to your users. There is a module for
> Glade, and I also maintain a large Glade-based application (Gnucash),
> so I'm confident that it works just fine under Gtk-OSX.

If there are problems with the frameworks thing, then perhaps it could
be useful to just provide a binary tarball of GTK+ (with a working
pkg-config script) as provided for GTK+ on Windows?

Cheers
JP