Re: [gtk-osx-devel] Some issues & fixes on unstable modulesets

On Mar 1, 2014, at 8:57 AM, Brion Vibber <brion pobox com> wrote:

Hi all!

I'm trying to get Gimp master builds going on OS X 10.9; fiddling with the unstable modulesets for gtk-osx
I've noticed a few build problems.

Here's a few fixes; please let me know if there's a better way to submit then than as github pull reqs!

https://github.com/jralls/gtk-osx-build/pull/19 - fix moduleset xml
https://github.com/jralls/gtk-osx-build/pull/20 - fix python2.7 bogus patch
https://github.com/jralls/gtk-osx-build/pull/21 - disable bzip2 in freetype
https://github.com/jralls/gtk-osx-build/pull/22 - fix for patch for ragel

However I'm having trouble getting freetype to build, as there seems to be a circular dependency with
harfbuzz's hb-ft submodule. Harfbuzz will build, but doesn't build and install its 'hb-ft' bit because
there's no freetype, so when we build freetype it fails to #include the missing hb-ft.h ... Any ideas on
resolving this cleanly?

Also, I notice that Apple no longer includes python libraries in the 10.9 SDK; they apparently recommend
against linking to the system python now; this breaks things like libxslt which link to python2.7. Should
python2.7 be added as an explicit dependency in the module sets, or should that just be a note in the build
directions that you may have to explicitly build it?

I’ve acted on all of the pull requests, thanks. This is technically a Gnome project, so you’re supposed to
file bugs in bugzilla.gnome.org on project gtk-mac-integration and attach patches for review, but I don’t
have any problem with github pull requests.

There’s no circular dependency, but in the unstable moduleset harfbuzz didn’t have any dependency on Freetype
at all. I’ve changed that so that it does, which should resolve your build-order problem.

Python needs to be a soft dependency of libxml2 so that it can be either 2 or 3, so when building with Xcode5
one must include one or the other in the modules list.

Regards,
John Ralls