Re: [Gtk-osx-devs] GTK-OSX Binary Package

On Jan 17, 2011, at 2:55 PM, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Getting some complaints that the bootstrap through jhbuild is
> too complex, so what I'm doing is installing just the /opt/gtk.
>
> It would be nice if jhbuild would build the packages, but the
> main thing is avoiding having to build everything from source.
>
> So what I am doing is making one i386 build with python2.5
> and one x86_64 build with python2.6, and then using lipo(1).
>
> Eventually it would be best to have it more like on Win32*,
> with only the basic GTK+ bundle and with the rest separate.
>
> * http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html
>

> I don't think I'll need the framework build, since it only
> complicates things. So plain old dynamic libraries is fine.
>
> Currently using "jhbuild" for Quartz, MacPorts/Fink for X11*.
> But eventually I'll probably need to provide custom binaries.
>
> * http://0install.net/install-mac.html
>

> My current GTK-OSX.pkg is around 30M, which isn't "too bad"
> considering the Universal Binaries and lousy .pkg compression.
>
> Are you going to be hosting any pre-compiled jhbuild binaries
> on GTK-OSX's SourceForge ? I don't really want to bundle it...
>
> * http://afb.users.sourceforge.net/zero-install

No.

 Now I understand why you're whining about a separate bootstrap directory: You don't want to make a bundle. You're being silly, because the bundler pulls off only what the bundle needs from your build prefix and fixes up the rpaths. It's a much better solution than what you're trying to do. Better for your users, who get a nice clickable icon in Finder like they're used to, and better for you because instead of fighting the way the system wants to work you're letting it work for you.

The only catch is if your app needs dbus (usually because of GConf). In that case you have to make a link to the bundle's Resources folder from your build prefix. I've settled on using /Library/Appname, because /opt requires authentication even if the user is an Admin.

Regards,
John Ralls