Re: [Gtk-osx-devs] License for gtk+-osx

Hi John,
thanks, that would be very much appreciated.

I understand your position, but personally I felt no pressure to change my project's license. I made my decision based on the fact that I trust Eben Moglen's judgement, and if he says that we need an update to the GPL, you can be sure that there is good reason to do so.

Regards,
Salsaman.
http://lives.sourceforge.net

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 9:33 PM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:

On Jan 31, 2010, at 1:19 PM, salsaman wrote:

> Hi,
> I was looking at the gtk+-osx page, and it says that the license for gtk+-osx is GPL version 2.
>
> Does that mean only GPL version 2, or version 2 or higher ? If it's the former, do you realise that that makes it incompatible with most GPL applications, which are now moving to GPL version 3 ?
>
> In such a case, would it be possible to update the license to say "GPL v2 or later" ? Is there some practical reason why it has to stay GPL v2 only ?

I'm not really very enthusiastic about GPL V3, and I'm really unenthusiastic about the way RMS and his lawyers are running around pressuring projects to switch. OTOH, I've no objection to the code being used with GPL V3 projects, so I'll update the license in ige-mac-integration and the launcher scripts in ige-mac-bundler to say "GPL V2 or higher". Everything else is a build tool of one sort or another, so the compatibility of the license isn't significant.

Regards,
John Ralls