Re: [Gtk-osx-devs] ige-mac-integration cocoa

John Ralls wrote:

Super cool! Though I'm not sure that there's any real need for Carbon
once Cocoa is fully working. I'll look forward to having that.

Should be a simple matter of switching defaults... ? The linkage
follows the conditionals, so it only needs one of the frameworks.

Carbon versions are just one more thing to maintain.

Well, I made it easy to switch back-and-forth while developing.
Haven't really made it configurable yet, so it's more like
"if false" and "#if 0" at the moment. Should be pushed to afb
github now, I seem to have mangled up the merge but anyway...

Some functions *require* Carbon on earlier versions of Mac OS X,
but those can be loaded at runtime there instead of being linked.

Gtk+ isn't likely to be Tiger-compatible much longer anyway. Webkit- Gtk already isn't, and Pango switched from ATSUI (Carbon) to CoreText (not really Cocoa, but not available on Tiger) in July.

That is sad, but I guess one can always use the Darwin/X11 version
on the older platforms. I'm switching over to Leopard (not Snow).
It was Panther when I started with GTK+, I think. Like 2.15 or so.
I put my older stuff up at http://www.algonet.se/~afb/gtk/, btw.

--anders