How to invoke none blocking main, with thread safety.

Hello,

I need to create window instance, with a WebKitWebView. I'm writing this in C. However all of the examples I have seen are invoked from a main function and use either gtk_application_run or gtk_main, both of which block. Unfortunately I can only write this as a shared library.

How can I start a gtk instance without it blocking? Also hopefully I can do this with some thread safety.

Thanks in advanced,

Mike R.