Re: g_object_add_toggle_ref

On Sun, 2017-06-25 at 10:59 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
I very much doubt anybody here has knowledge of toggle reference and
language bindings.

Yes, I guess that is true, the original authors seems all to be
retired. For IRC or devel list, I fear situation is not really better,
and I do not really want to make noise there, the few remaining
developers may have to do more important stuff.

All GC language bindings will immediately sink the floating reference,
as it makes memory management harder for them (it's a C feature, after
all). So my suggestion is to immediately and automatically sink the
floating reference inside your wrapper around g_object_new() before it
returns the instance to the non-C side.

That is an interesting hint. Indeed I did that in my first draft about
a year ago, before I discovered  g_object_add_toggle_ref() function. Of
course it makes sense to use it in combination.

At least basically my Nim wrapper is working already -- maybe for
details I will have to look at wrappers for other languages. Maybe I
should consider contacting the Rust developers, as Rust is also a
compiled language, and they have some GTK bindings.