Re: GTK+ with Broadway

Hi Dan,

I don't need real time graphing or something like that. It should work only after triggers from user.

I don't remember exactly which feature was missed. I'll recheck.

Your inputs are optimistic :-)

Thanks a lot for the help.
Igor

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Daniel Kasak <d j kasak dk gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Igor D <ivbsd1 gmail com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for prompt reply.
>
> Yes, I have couple of specific concerns:
> 1. Performance. I'm not looking for something special but expect something
> reasonable. My few experiments show
> that performance may be too low.

I haven't seen bad performance in terms of user experience, though I
have noticed high CPU usage in the broadwayd process(es). My very
rough guess is that you can support somewhere between 2-3 times the
number of active users as CPU cores on your system before users start
to notice. I've never done any stress-testing to see what exactly
would happened if you pushed this limit. I guess if you're trying to
deliver to more users than this model supports, you're entering "real"
web-app development. Out of interest, what kind of applications are
you considering distributing?

It will depend a lot on what your app is doing I guess. Real-time
graphing or apps where there is constant rendering happening ( eg text
flying past in a log viewer ) will consume a lot more CPU than an app
that sits still and waits for a user to do something.

I've also noticed that broadway gives a much better experience than
VNC. VNC is laggy and has rendering glitches. Broadway is pretty
impressive under conditions where VNC degrades badly.

> 2. Reduced feature set, comparing to GTK without broadway. I found few minor
> differences but this makes me afraid that it might be more.

I haven't noticed any reduced features at all. You may have to set
some environment variables to activate things like gtk+ themes and
icon packs, but I haven't found anything with broadway that doesn't
work as I expect from a regular X11 experience. What differences have
you seen? If it's just things like icon packs, it might be worth
documenting what's needed to get on-par with X11.

Dan