Re: GTK+ with Broadway

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Igor D <ivbsd1 gmail com> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for prompt reply.

Yes, I have couple of specific concerns:
1. Performance. I'm not looking for something special but expect something
reasonable. My few experiments show
that performance may be too low.

I haven't seen bad performance in terms of user experience, though I
have noticed high CPU usage in the broadwayd process(es). My very
rough guess is that you can support somewhere between 2-3 times the
number of active users as CPU cores on your system before users start
to notice. I've never done any stress-testing to see what exactly
would happened if you pushed this limit. I guess if you're trying to
deliver to more users than this model supports, you're entering "real"
web-app development. Out of interest, what kind of applications are
you considering distributing?

It will depend a lot on what your app is doing I guess. Real-time
graphing or apps where there is constant rendering happening ( eg text
flying past in a log viewer ) will consume a lot more CPU than an app
that sits still and waits for a user to do something.

I've also noticed that broadway gives a much better experience than
VNC. VNC is laggy and has rendering glitches. Broadway is pretty
impressive under conditions where VNC degrades badly.

2. Reduced feature set, comparing to GTK without broadway. I found few minor
differences but this makes me afraid that it might be more.

I haven't noticed any reduced features at all. You may have to set
some environment variables to activate things like gtk+ themes and
icon packs, but I haven't found anything with broadway that doesn't
work as I expect from a regular X11 experience. What differences have
you seen? If it's just things like icon packs, it might be worth
documenting what's needed to get on-par with X11.

Dan

Thanks,
Igor

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 1:21 AM, Daniel Kasak <d j kasak dk gmail com>