Problem with vte_pty_new_sync in libvte 0.42

The latest version of libvte causes vte_pty_new_sync to fail with the following error: "fcntl(F_SETFL) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device". I'm on Mac OS 10.11. I'm guessing this is because it removes the gnome-pty-helper process, because in the past I've received this error when that process wasn't successfully being started. Am I wrong to assume this? Thanks.