Re: Announcement of Visual Studio 2015 projects and solutions for Gtkmm and GTK+

On 27.11.2015 11:27, codekiddy wrote:
On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 9:15 AM, LRN wrote:
On 27.11.2015 9:59, codekiddy wrote:
compile GTK+, Gtkmm, all it's dependencies
solely by using Visual Studio, as well as few other popular "hard to
build" libraries.

Is there a particular reason to use MSVS as-is instead of using a
multi-toolchain buildsystem (such as CMake) with the MS toolchain?

Yes, CMAKE is not very user friendly and for most of dependencies (actually
almost all) one needs to create cmake files first.

Also creating projects with VS is far easier than doing all from scratch
with cmake.

Not only that but most beginners who ie. just want to have gtk+/gtkmm run
in latest VS might have hard time
to learn how to debug possible build errors with cmake.

I know it's possible to generate Solutions with cmake, but making build
system with VS just goes faster (for me at least).

The reason i'm asking is that the use of a toolchain-independent
buildsystem would also benefit people like me, who use mingw (everyone
knows that autotools is slow on Windows; using something like cmake would
make builds go much faster). And when used with MS toolchain it would still
convey most of the features MSVS has (such as debugging with MSVS; although
i'm not sure about partial re-compilation or live editing or other fancy
features).

Such scenario would create an incentive for other developers to keep the
bildsystem in good shape. The use of VS solutions may be convenient for you
(and the aforementioned beginners), but for anyone not using MS toolchain
it's completely uninteresting ("i don't give a damn" kind of
uninteresting). No idea whether it would be worth the trouble (for either
side) to convert, just wanted to make sure you understand what the other
options are.

And do send messages to gnome list (<gtk-list gnome org>), don't CC to it
(in fact, there's no need to CC anyone who's on the list, unless they ask
for it specifically).

--
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org