Re: Misconduct of GTK+/glib Bugtracker Admins

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 21:53:24 +0200
Gergely Polonkai <gergely polonkai eu> wrote:

Hello,

I’m sorry to say that, but I find your name very appropriate in this
case: *Ignorant* Guru. You seem to ignore every statement that says
something else that you do.

GNOME is not a Red Hat product. It is a GNOME Foundation product, if
you want to put it anywhere. It is led by several developers, Red Hat
employees or not, who put a lot of effort to make it better. I
personally know that they *do* accept patches, as I have sent some of
them in the past, and possibly will send more in the future. You were
told several times that if you don’t like the way it works, then
create a patch: GNOME developers don’t necessarily have the time to
make this work for you. You can see how many problems they have to
deal with either by looking at the bug tracker or the IRC channel
they hang around on.

I try to repeat what so many others said before in this thread: if
you have put half the effort into writing a patch instead of writing
such not-well backed complaints, this problem should have been solved
already.

Disclaimer: I’m not officially connected with GNOME nor Red Hat, Inc.
I just use GNOME since 1.something, and although I don’t necessarily
agree with all the steps they took, I still like this platform.

Kind regards,
Gergely

Gergely,

Thank you for your reply, but you do not seem to be processing the information here any better than you say I
am.  This bug's resolution means little to my software.  I was merely offering some input to help them solve
it.  It's very low on my list of things to be addressed.  It's a minor annoyance to a few my users,
indirectly in other apps' behavior.

The real issue here, which you didn't process at all, is the conduct of the admins/developers.  Period.  If
you find their behavior acceptable or of high quality, so be it.  I do not.

Since sending these list mails, I have noticed a phenomenon.  People are disagreeing with me publicly, yet
more are writing to me privately agreeing, and giving examples where these same developers were, to use one
person's words:  "[to see more] more shockingly antagonizing behavior from ebassi, you should check out how
he talked to J. Ralls (the gtk-osx maintainer) a few years back. Worth a read, downright disrespectful."

Someone also writes, "They centralized everything 'under the main GTK site', then nothing happened. Patches
are still not being applied. etc."

Another writes, "Although I've been working with GTK+ since the first versions, I'm today also very
disappointed."

Yet these people are not comfortable posting such comments here or being quoted by name.  This is a pattern I
have seen before surrounding Red Hat, as well as GTK+ - people feel they cannot speak their mind on these
issues.

Seems your story differs from theirs, and since I've experienced what they're referring to directly (for
years), and have seen countless other examples, why would I believe you?