Re: Misconduct of GTK+/glib Bugtracker Admins

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 21:20:52 +0200 (CEST)
Lucas Levrel <llevrel yahoo fr> wrote:

Le 7 juin 2015, IgnorantGuru a écrit :

As for who agrees with me and who doesn't, outside of fanboy lists
and such, most people I encounter are QUITE unhappy with GTK 3, and
often ask why I use it at all.

Indeed, can't you go back and use GTK 2 instead ? (Maybe does this
bug exist in GTK2 as well?)

Actually my SpaceFM builds with both GTK2 and GTK3.  Since this bug is rooted in gio, part of glib, I think
both are affected.  I retain GTK2 support in the app because many users prefer it (myself included), and it's
a fallback if GTK3 development makes it unusable, a distinct possibility in my view.  If I'm forced to choose
at some point, I'll abandon GTK3.  For this reason, I recommend that those upgrading to GTK3 instead make it
dual-build.  You can see SpaceFM's primary method here:
https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/blob/ee45e43d10efaa45e855d02317be7a21fae26183/src/gtk2-compat.h

And there are a few other adjustments throughout the code, but not much required.  To me it looks like they
deliberately broke backwards compatibility with GTK2 - it was wholey unnecessary.  SpaceFM, which is a
multi-panel file and desktop manager that uses many widgets, custom widgets, cairo drawing on the desktop,
many dialogs, etc., yet fairly easily can be doctored to run on both, is proof of this.

However, that bug itself affects my software minimally, as it uses the chooser minimally, and I could always
add the missing volumes manually were they critical.  However my users have complained about it because
things they mount in my FM don't appear in the GTK+ chooser of Gnome and GTK apps generally.  So it's more of
an interoperability and annoyance issue across apps using GTK+.  A very minor one in my view, hardly worth
all that nonsense, distortion, or confusion.