Re: Replacement for gtk_widget_override_background_color() with GtkTextView

hi;

On 11 February 2015 at 13:08, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
The gtk_widget_override_*() functions were recently deprecated:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?id=63efdca2
(These had themselves replaced gtk_widget_modify_*():
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?id=f383e6b0 )

I'd like to improve the deprecation documentation to give more exact
clues about what people should do.

there are two ways to replace gtk_widget_modify_background_color() —
though, obviously, the actual reply would be "don't":

 • you can either provide a fragment of CSS to style the widget yourself
 • you can override the GtkWidget::draw signal, and paint the color
yourself using Cairo

But I don't know what CSS would replace
gtk_widget_override_background_color() for a GtkTextView. If I use
"background-color: #whatever" then only the background of the content's
text is colored, not the background of the whole area.

what does "the whole area" mean, in this context? the text view may
have some margin, which does not get painted with the background
color, as per CSS spec.

if you want to paint the area beneath the margin, you'll have to draw
on the parent widget, not on the GtkTextView.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
https://www.bassi.io