Replacement for gtk_widget_override_background_color() with GtkTextView

The gtk_widget_override_*() functions were recently deprecated:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?id=63efdca2
(These had themselves replaced gtk_widget_modify_*():
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?id=f383e6b0 )

I'd like to improve the deprecation documentation to give more exact
clues about what people should do.

But I don't know what CSS would replace
gtk_widget_override_background_color() for a GtkTextView. If I use
"background-color: #whatever" then only the background of the content's
text is colored, not the background of the whole area.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com