RE: Memory leak in gdbus-codegen generated code

From: Tristan Van Berkom [mailto:tristan upstairslabs com]
Sent: 10. februar 2015 08:25
To: Norman, Anders
Cc: gtk-list gnome org
Subject: RE: Memory leak in gdbus-codegen generated code

On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 06:59 +0000, Norman, Anders wrote:
Well, I consider it a leak and need it cleaned up.

Yes, some people stubbornly think that, however it's entirely unfounded.

In languages with OO features built in, the data attached to a type
definition (a class) is loaded with the binary generally, in C there is
no such thing, so this data which defines a type is initialized
once-off, the first time you register a type.
I'm quite new to glib/gdbus, but I would presume that if I instanciate two skeletons of the same class, the
signal instances are different. Hence, the signals are instance/object data and not class data.

In gobject.c g_object_base_class_finalize() there is a call to
_g_signals_destroy() but I don't see exactly how this ties into the type
system of glib.

Yes, classes can be finalized, by way of a convoluted thing which is
types which are defined to be 'dynamic' and not static, there is even
a the GTypePlugin or GTypeModule API which is intended to unregister
dynamic types when a 'plugin is unloaded'.

However it turns out that this practice is just more headache than
it's worth, if an application requires plugins, instead performing
the dlopen once and never closing it, even when the plugin is
virtually 'unloaded' is a better practice all around (simply
disposing any plugin *instances* at unload time and keeping the
actual module loaded and ready for the next time it's 'loaded').

In any case, as the dbus object skeletons are most probably
registered as static types, as most type are, you will not
be able to free the memory you want to free (and even if you
did, you would still have the interned strings as a result of
signal and property declarations in memory which cannot be
'uninterned').

Your best bet is to add the appropriate suppressions to your
valgrind setup and focus on catching the leaks with are, in
fact, actually leaks.

Cheers,
    -Tristan

Anders