Re: charts on gtk+

On Fri, 2015-02-06 at 16:27 -0600, zeta wrote:
Hi there I am new on the community, I am a bachelor student at BUAP, I
love gome since I meet it, and know I want to contribute in something,
I was writing an application with gtk and when I want to create some
cool charts I see that there isn't a library for do it, or I don't
find one that has native integration with gtk, so I decide to write
one, but first I want to know If anyone is doing one, or if someone
can guide me where to start, I think that I should do with the gtk
 draw area widget and cairo, but I'm not sure. Regards Miguel Angel

You mean something like MathGL but for the GTK+/cairo stack ?

I can't think of anything off hand which exists that does that, and I
would see myself using it at one point or another.

I would suggest that you do this with cairo directly, and not have a
hard GTK+ dependency in your library, i.e. you could provide a GtkWidget
as a separate thing, but have the main library only depend on cairo,
this would allow one to plug it into a GTK+ application easily, but also
use it directly with cairo on a wide variety of cairo rendering backends
(can be interesting for directly rendering charts onto a PDF surface for
example).

Cheers,
    -Tristan