Re: Struggling to understand how to render to GtkLayout in a GtkScrolledWindow

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Oliver Charles <ollie ocharles org uk> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to build a little top-down level editor for a game I'm working on. I'm pretty much aiming for a clone of http://doombuilder.com - from the screenshots you should be able to see the map editor is mostly about drawing lines on a big grid.

I have my basic rendering code working on a GtkLayout, and the next step is to expand the canvas so that I can create larger levels. It seems that the recommended process here is to take a GtkLayout and embed it in a GtkScrolledWindow. However, I'm unclear on what that actually does.

GtkLayout is NOT a canvas.

You need a canvas widget. Unfortunately, there is no blessed canvas widget.