Re: A bug or a screw up?

Hadn't been, but I just tried it. The result was that the entire da is drawn, but still in the wrong place. It's still aligned with the top of the vbox, overlays label 1 and label 2, and there's still a big gap between the bottom of the da and the top of label 3.

It looks to me like the cr being passed to the draw callback is pointing not to a new drawing area but to some underlying drawing area, but that's a guess--I don't know a thing about the innards of cairo.

Code patch was:

 /***
Fill the entire da with a black a rectangle, then overlay the black rectangle
      with a smaller red one.

Notice that that top edge of the da, the top bit of the black rectangle,
      is cut off.
  ***/

  GdkRGBA black  = {0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0};
  gdk_cairo_set_source_rgba (cr, &black);
  cairo_rectangle (cr, 0.0, 0.0, DA_WIDTH, DA_HEIGHT);
  cairo_fill (cr);