Re: Routing scroll events in a Gtk.Overlay

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Robert Schroll <rschroll gmail com> wrote:
  Consider a composite widget, say an EventBox with a whole hierarchy of children.  Is there some way to make one type of event go directly to the EventBox, while others go through to the children?  I'd hoped I could do this with set_above_child() and set_events(), but I haven't been able to make that work.

AFAIK, events propagate only via parent/child relationships (i.e. container/contained). So an event delivered to a widget that just happened to overlap another one but had no child/parent relationship with the covered one would never forward events to the covered one under any circumstances.

So, a simple case with highly constrained layering can probably be made to work (and apparently GtkOverlay manages that). But in general, the idea of positioning widgets arbitrarily on top of each other does not define a Z-axis order for event delivery.