Would it be possible that gtk implementation in C++

For the past few time, I am using gtkmm to development GUI application, and I am really enjoy it.

I know that choose C as its implementation language makes gtk gain a wonderful performance,
but recently GCC turn to C++.  https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.8/changes.html

I think that as a complier which have to think a lot about performance, it turn to C++ for code elegance and development speed,
a GUI application have no reason to continue using C stuff.

Actually gtk implement a object system as its essential part, that did prove that GUI application need a object-oriented design.
And C++ could provide this as a language level feaure, needless to implement it in application code.

So I suggest that it is possible to develop gtk in c++ as main-line support?

Unlike gtkmm, which is just a wrapper from c++ to c, turn to c++ in main-line means a lot.

GCC choose this and get good result, I think gtk could have a try.