Re: no fonts displayed in gtk-demo on Mac PPC OSX 10.4

Dear Paul,

thanks for the hint!

You wrote:
> you have left over remnants of an older or newer version
> of fontconfig on your machine.

Yes, I have, but the Macports package management system claims
that cairo depends on fontconfig, so fontconfig was
automatically installed.

> it has been claimed that this issue has been fixed at some
> point, but at one point it was impossible for fontconfig
> to correctly handle both native and X11 based
> applications.  thus, if you used macports to run an X11
> application that also used fontconfig, and now you use it
> to run a non-X11 fontconfig app, this is what happens. i
> am personally skeptical that the problem has really been
> fixed.

I have tried to convince Macports not to install any X11
stuff (by setting the global +no_x11 and -x11 configuration
variants).

The list in my previous mail does not show any obvious X11
applications, but according to your analysis it seems I have
not been successful.

> you can test this by looking for ~/.fontconfig and
> renaming/removing it.

A "find / -name .fontconfig -print" with root did not reveal
any such files.

        Best regards,

                Thomas