Re: no fonts displayed in gtk-demo on Mac PPC OSX 10.4

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 6:16 AM, Dr. Thomas Tensi <t tensi gmx de> wrote:
Dear all,

I have installed the current version of gtk2 via Macports on
a PowerPC Mac mini with Mac OSX 10.4. This is a Quartz
installation without any underlying X11.

When I start gtk-demo, the application comes up as expected
(e.g. with icons), but no fonts are displayed.  No character
frames, but simply nothing. The application works as expected,
but navigation is a bit hard, of course.

you have left over remnants of an older or newer version of fontconfig on your machine.

it has been claimed that this issue has been fixed at some point, but at one point it was impossible for fontconfig to correctly handle both native and X11 based applications. thus, if you used macports to run an X11 application that also used fontconfig, and now you use it to run a non-X11 fontconfig app, this is what happens. i am personally skeptical that the problem has really been fixed.

you can test this by looking for ~/.fontconfig and renaming/removing it.