slow paint() reaction

Hi,

I am porting an application from py2 to py3 / PyGi.
In this application we want to show an animated gif in a treeview. The code in Py2 was the one we posted in PyGTK FAQ[0]. I ported the code to the new do_render / do_get_size functions. It is now viewable here: [1]. It seems to work but one frame out of 4-5 is shown only. It seems that calling ctx.paint() it nore really rendered immediatly.
Is there something I don't do correctly?

Thanks for your help.

[0]: http://faq.pygtk.org/index.py?req=show&file=faq13.041.htp
[1]: http://hg.gajim.org/gajim/file/35f14d8cf57f/src/cell_renderer_image.py#l85

--