Re: Newbie problems using g_spawn_async_with_pipes and watching for IO

William Orr wrote:

Chris Vine wrote:

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 18:42:28 -0000

"William Orr" <ay1244 gmail com> wrote:

> Chris Vine wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 20:28:16 -0500

> Will Orr <ay1244 gmail com> wrote:

>     > Here[1] is the problematic code.

>     >

>     > I'm trying to run a command and gather the output and return

>     code. I

>     > do this by watching for the process to return, as well as

>     waiting for

>     > the channels to HUP. However, my callbacks never get called with

>     cond

>     > set to G_IO_HUP, even after the process terminates. Nor do any

>     of the

>     > g_io_channel_read_* calls return errors. This seems inconsistent

>     with

>     > the documentation, as well as examples that I've found in the

>     hours of

>     > researching this problem.

>     >

>     > I'm clearly doing something wrong, I'm just not sure where yet.

>     Any

>     > advice or solutions would be great. Thanks so much! Let me know

>     if I

>     > need to provide anymore information. Please CC me, as I'm not a

>     member

>     > of this list.

> This will help you:

> http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2001/06/poll.html

> Chris

> Is this really preferable to using g_io_add_watch? It doesn't seem

> like I can make use of that in my event loop…

I think you misunderstood me, and I can see that I was was overly

concise. g_poll() is a wrapper on unix-like OSes for poll().  The web

page to which I directed you explains why POLLHUP, and so G_IO_HUP, is

not a reliable indicator of end-of-file.

If you have received G_IO_HUP, you must have received a hang-up, which

means on a pipe file descriptor that you must have end-of-file.  However

the converse is not true.  You can have end-of-file without G_IO_HUP,

which is what you are experiencing.  You are receiving POLLIN/G_IO_IN

instead.

The only reliable way of detecting end-of-file is if read() returns 0.

This equates to one of the GIOChannel read functions returning a

GIOStatus value of G_IO_STATUS_EOF.  Your mistake was in not checking

return values.

I have not studied your code in detail but you do not seem to be

unref()ing consistently either, in particularly in a case of error.  The

best thing to do is to unref() the GIOChannel object as soon as you have

called g_io_add_watch() or g_source_attach().  Then, returning FALSE in

the callback will automatically release the object and its resources.

Chris

Thanks for the more verbose explanation; it helped me a lot. I'll try this tonight and let you know how it fares.

William Orr

about.me/worr

Thanks for the help! That worked perfectly!

I also moved around and added the unref calls. It's helped a lot.

William Orr

about.me/worr