Re: Stock items (button images / menu images etc)

On 12/12/2013 13:15, Paul Davis wrote:

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 5:48 AM, John Emmas <john creativepost co uk> wrote:
  I'm only asking because yesterday (over on gtk-devel-list) I noticed a post which suggested that button images / menu images etc are in the process of being deprecated.

I believe that discussion only applies to GTK+ 3.x

Thanks Paul,

I'd already picked up on that but I wondered if (during the transition) some new #define got specified somewhere which I'd need to use to carry on working the old way.  It seemed unlikely but worth asking the question.

HOWEVER....  I've just discovered that something which did change between v2.20 and v2.24 were the image names (or at least, some of them).  In the "light bulb" example that I gave, its image name (in 2.20.0) was "gtk-dialog-info.png".  By the time we get to 2.24 that seems to have changed to "dialog-information.png".  Note however...   the name hasn't changed in gtkstock.h - but a new name seems to have been introduced in gtkiconfactory.c.

So what happens if I edit gtkiconfactory.c and substitute the original name?  Bingo!  I now see my missing image, even when I build against gtk+ v2.24!

So what's going on here??  Is "dialog-information.png" a new name that was supposed to be used with gtk3 only?  That seems unlikely (if I examine the Blame record) since the change seems to have happened over 3 years ago!  Either way, something seems to have gotten confused en route from gtk2.20 to gtk2.24.

John